Tuesday, September 20, 2011

And We're back with the tonals.

 So for the second assignment in digital painting, we did a refresher with lighting. I masked it out and used gradients for most of it, except the chair, which i used a brush for.
 I then added a copy of the layer and put it on a multiply and kept workin on the lighting.
 Kept dicking around with the lighting...
Overall I think I got the light decent, and I think it came out alright in the end.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Fiiiiiiish?

So I'm back in the grind at school. For our first Digital Painting assignment, we had to do a fish. I started by picking a tropical fish and tweaking him a bit. I then started blocking in the shape and tried to figure out the form.

Then I started adding details like the stripes, etc. Alot of the time was spent making sure the form of the fish was correct. Once I was happy with that, I added in the two bottom fins. They took probably more time than anything else at this point, and quite a bit of reference to get them to look correct.

I then added in the rest of the fins, but surprisingly those didn't take as long. All I did was put a flat shape in for 'em, and then added in the details with more flow in my brush.
I then added in the background and gave it a gaussian blur so it wouldn't attract the viewer's eye from the fish itself. I also started planning the scales at this point.
Aaaaaand here's the final. At this point all that was left to do was the scales, and after a few hours of building them up, they were done.

So that's my fish, and Yoche dubbed him Barnicle.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011